Procedures, FAQs and other important patient information.
"The Six Million Dollar Man" - KFWB interview with Dr. Lauryssen on spinal reconstruction...
Dr. Lauryssen performs the first California implant of Coflex™, a functionally dynamic interspinous implant...
Carl Lauryssen, M.D.
Diplomat American Board of Neurological Surgery
|American Board of Neurological Surgery, 1999
Canadian Board of Neurological Surgery, 1995
Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 1995
|MBChB University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa (1988)
|Groote Schuur Hospital, Somerset Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Resident, General Surgery (1990-91)
University of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Resident, Neurosurgery (1991-95)
University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
|Spinal Neurosurgery (1995-96)
Director, Research & Education
Olympia Medical Center (previously known as Midway Hospital)
2004 - present
Tower Orthopaedic & Neurosurgical Spine Institute
|Director, Research and Education
Cedars-Sinai Institute for Spinal Disorders
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
2003 – 2005
Department of Neurological Surgery
Washington University School of Medicine
1996 - 2002
|California, Missouri, Canada, South Africa
Honors and Awards
Full Scholastic Colours Award, High School
Gencor Mining Scholastic Fellowship Award, University of Cape Town
Basic Science Research Award, Congress of Neurological Surgery, 1993
Young Clinician Investigator Award, The Research Foundation of the
American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1998
North American Spine Society 1999 Outstanding Paper Award
“Can Nerve Root Injections Obviate the Need for Operative
Treatment of Lumbar Radicular Pain? A Prospective, Randomized,
Controlled, Double-Blinded Study”, Riew, D, Yin, Y, Bridwell, K,
Lenke, L, Goette, K, Lauryssen, C, Gilula, L
AANS Young Neurosurgeon Committee Public Service Award
Neurosurgical Medical Mission to Kenya – May 2000
Awarded April 25, 2001
Awarded the John L. Hubbard Lectureship
Awarded by Dr. Oliver Dold and Dr. Marie Long,
Neurosurgery, Decatur, Illinois, October 26, 2001
American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Congress of Neurological Surgeons
Chairman, Program Evaluation Committee, 1996/97
Secretary, Education Committee, 1997/98
Chairman, CME Committee, 1997/98
Communications/Public Relations Committee
Chairman, Membership Committee, Joint Section on Spine and Peripheral Nerves, 2000-2001
Canadian Medical Council
Erlanger-Graham Society, Washington University
AO North America – North American Spine Education Committee
SPORT- Spine Patient Outcome Research Trial, 2000
Southern Neurosurgical Society, 2002 North American Spine Society, 2002 Spine Arthroplasty Society 2008
|Journal of Spinal Disorders, Editorial Board, 1998-Present Journal of Neurosurgery, Guest Reviewer, 1998-Present
The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Guest Reviewer, 1999-2000
Spine, Editorial Board, 1999-Present
Spine University, 2002-Present
|Sulzer Spine-Tech Medical Advisory Board, 1998-2002
Sulzer Spine-Tech Scientific Advisory Board, 1998-2002
Myelotec Medical Advisory Board, 1997-1999
Interpore Cross Medical Advisory Board, 2001-2003
Interpore Cross Scientific Advisory Board, 2001-2003
Pioneer Surgical Medical Advisory Board, 2002-present
|1997 Washington University Medical Center
ER/Urgent Care/Trauma Center
1997 Washington University Institute for
Minimally Invasive Surgery Committee
1997 Space Programming Work Group for the Musculoskeletal/Spine/Neuroscience/Rehab Center
1998-2003 Director Spinal Cord Injury Group, Washington University
2000-2002 Barnes-Jewish Hospital Medical Staff Association
|“Objectively Assessing Function Outcomes in Surgically Treated Patients with Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy” American Association of Neurological Surgeons Research Foundation, $40,000
“Comparison of Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease Using FRA Spacer vs. BAK System as Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Device”, Synthes Spine, $17,000 (est)
“BAK Healos Anterior Interbody Fusion”, Sulzer Spine-Tech, $5,000
“A Randomized Multi-Center Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of the Cervical I/F Cage for Anterior Cervical Fusion”, DePuy AcroMed, Inc., $12,000
“Lumbar Disc Herniation Outcome”, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
“Telescopic Plate Spacer (TPS) Spinal System for Use in Patients with Metastatic Spinal Disease Following Vertebrectomy/Corpectomy”,
Research Fund of Washington University
“Spinal Cord Stem Cell Implantation Study”, Diacrin, $72,000
“Retrospective Clinical Outcome and Complications Study of the Brantigan Cage System for Interbody Fusion”, DePuy Acromed
“Self-centering pedicle screws”, Sulzer-Medica, $5,947
“Hylagell”, Genzyme Biosurgery, $115,500
“Hedrocel cervical fusion device”, Implex, $25,000
“SPORT: Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial”, National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
“Intracranial Strain and Diffuse Axonal Injury”, McDonnell Higher Brain Award, $15,200
|Anterior Bone Plate System and Method of Use, filed March 27, 2002
Stem Cell Surgical Syringe Holder, March 28, 2002
Posterior Spinal Cross Link 2004
C1 drill guide system 2004
St. Louis RAMS
ABC News OnCall with Dr. Tim Johnson
Medical Consultant (E-mail) to Senior Editorial Staff
Medical Unit ABC News
Invited/Accepted Presentations 1996 – Present
1. “Back Pain: Common Problems, Helpful Treatments". Jewish Community Centers Association, St. Louis, MO, October 14, 1996.
2. “Management of Spinal Epidural Metastatic Lesions”. Neurosurgical Grand Rounds, October 16, 1996.
3. “Managing Neck and Back Pain". St. Mary's Hospital, Centralia, IL, October 16, 1996.
4. “Managing Neck and Back Pain". Illinois Academy of Family Physicians at St. Mary's Hospital, Belleville, IL, October 24, 1996.
5. “Management of Common Cervical and Lumbar Disorders". Rounds in Adult Health, Alton Memorial Hospital, Alton, IL, March 5, 1997.
6. “Managing Neck and Back Pain". Public Hospital of the Town of Salem, IL, March 18, 1997.
7. “Spinal Cord Trauma”. Nursing Conference on Trauma. Advanced Critical Care Curriculum, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO, April 10, 1997.
8. “Treatment of Complex Disorders of the Lumbar Spine”. Course Instructor, 32nd Meeting of the Canadian Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Saskatoon, Sasketchewan, Canada, June, 1997.
9. “Degenerative Lumbar Disc Disease”. Spinal Instrumentation: Indications, Techniques and Hands-on Practice, Synthes Spine, Course Instructor, Quebec, Canada, July 10-13, 1997.
10. “Efficacy of Preoperative Transarterial Embolization in Surgical Treatment of Vertebral Neoplastic Disease”. Poster Presentation with Madeline, L, Moran, C, DeWitte T. Cross, Derdeyn, C, Lauryssen, C, Pilgram, T, American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology/ World Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology Joint Scientific Conference, New York City, New York, September 12-16, 1997.
11. “Lumbosacral Instrumentation and Fusion”. Course Instructor and Lecturer, 1997 Congress of Neurological Surgeons Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 27 - October 2, 1997.
12. “Anterior Cervical Spine Instrumentation”. Course Instructor and Lecturer, 1997 Congress of Neurological Surgeons Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 27 - October 2, 1997
13. “Management of Odontoid Fractures”. Moderator for Luncheon Seminar, 1997 CNS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1, 1997.
14. “Stealth Assisted Spinal Surgery”. Visiting Professor, 2nd Annual Complex Spine Day, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, October 30 - November 2, 1997
15. “Spinal Cord Tumors”. Fixman Cancer Conference, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, December 17, 1997.
16. “A Contemporary Update on Disorders of the Spine”. Course Instructor, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, January 18-23, 1998.
17. “Stealth Assisted Spinal Surgery”. Lecturer at Medical Staff Grand Rounds, Alton Memorial Hospital, Alton, Illinois, March 19, 1998.
18. “Applications of Image Guided and Endoscopic Surgery”. Course Instructor, Sofamor Danek, Scotsdale, Arizona, March 27-29, 1998.
19. “Frameless Stereotaxis and its Implication in Spinal Neurosurgery”. University of Cape Town, South Africa, April 15, 1998.
20. “Internet Neurotrama Rounds”. Plains Health Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan, The South Saskatchewan Neurotrauma Research Unit, May 6, 1998.
21. “Quantitative Assessment of Motor Function in Cervical Spondylitic Myelopahty” . The Society of Neurological Surgeons Meeting, St. Louis, Missouri, May 10-12, 1998.
22. “Comprehensive Course on the Spine”. Moderator, Association of Surgical Technologies, St. Louis, Missouri, May 26, 1998.
23. “Safety of (BMP-7) for posteriolateral fusion in a canine model”, Paramore, C, Lauryssen, C, Rauzzino, M, Wadlington, V, Palmer, C, Brix, A, Hadley, M. (Abstract accepted).
24. “Management of Disorders of the Thoracic Spine”. Speaker, Canadian Congress of Neurological Sciences, Montreal, Quebec, June 17, 1998.
25. “Anatomy/Disorders of the Cervical Spine-Radiographic Correlates”. Practical Anatomy Workshop, St. Louis, Missouri, September 16, 1998.
26. “Cervical Spine Instrumentation”, Practical Course Instructor, Congress of Neurological Surgeons 1999 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, October 3, 1998.
27. “Management of Thoracolumbar Fractures”, Luncheon Seminar, Congress of Neurological Surgeons 1999 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, October 5, 1998.
28. “Stealth Assisted Spinal Surgery”, Sarah Bush Lincoln Hospital, Mattoon, Illinois, December 3, 1998.
29. “Surgical planning for cervical spondylotic disease: are mr and myelo-ct both necessary?” , Riew, D, Hilibrand, A, Lenke, L, Bridwell, K, Lauryssen, C, Lofgren, S. Presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the Cervical Spine Research Society, Atlanta, Georgia, December 3-5, 1998.
30. “Diffusion imaging of the cervical spinal cord”, Ojemann, J, Shimony, J, Akbudak, E, Snyder, A, Lauryssen, C, Conturo, T, Oral presentation to the Radiological Society of North America, 1998.
31. “Management of Complex Cervical Spine Disorders”, Current Concepts in the Treatment of Spinal Disorders, Cancun, Mexico, January 8-10, 1999.
32. “The Role of Laminectomy”, Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves of AANS and CNS, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, February 10-13, 1999.
33. “The Spine: Skull to Sacrum/Birth to Old Age”, Depts. Of Orthopedic Surgery and Neurological Surgery and the Office of Continuing Medical Education at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, February 27, 1999.
34. “AO/ASIF Comprehensive Spine Course”, Faculty, Cancun, Mexico, April 8-11, 1999.
35. “Thoracic and Lumbar Stabilization Techniques”, American Association of Neurological Surgeons 1999 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 25, 1999.
36. “Spinal Stabilization: State of the Art”, Panelist, Breakfast Seminar, American Association of Neurological Surgeons 1999 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 26, 1999.
37. “Lumbar I/F Cage Training Symposium with John Brantigan, M.D.”, Course Chairman, St. Louis, Missouri, June 5, 1999.
38. “Complex Case Review”, Facilitator, Sulzer Spine Tech Medical Advisory Board Meeting, Pinehurst, North Carolina, July 15-18, 1999.
39. “Embryonic Stem Cell Derived Oligodendrocytes Myelinate Neuronal Axons in Culture”, Stewart T, Lauryssen C, McDonald J. (Abstract for Neuroscience Meeting, October 23-28, 1999) Supported by NIH grants NS01931, NS36265 (JWM)
40. “Advanced Techniques in Cervical Spine – Decompression and Stabilization”, Faculty, Practical Anatomy Workshop St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri,
August 20-22, 1999.
41. “Clinical Neuroanatomy, Neurology and Neurosurgery Workshop”, Faculty, Practical Anatomy Workshop St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, October 6, 1999.
42. “Cervical Spine Stabilization”, Faculty, CNS Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, October 30, 1999.
43. “Minimally Invasive Techniques for the Lumbar Spine”, Course Director, CNS Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, October 31, 1999.
44. “Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Controversies in Management”, Faculty, CNS Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, November 1, 1999.
45. “Spinal Instrumentation Workshop”, Faculty, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, December 4, 1999.
46. “Posterior Cervical Stabilization Techniques”, Faculty, Practical Anatomy Workshop, St. Louis, Missouri, February 12, 2000.
47. “TLIF/PLIF Surgeon Training Course”, Faculty, DePuy Acromed, Phoenix, Arizona, March 10-11, 2000.
48. “Thoracic and Lumbar Stabilization and Fusion”, Faculty, AANS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, April 9, 2000.
49. “Treating Neck and Low Back Pain”, Presenter, Free Public Lecture, Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, Missouri, June 17, 2000.
50. Surgeon Visit to Professor Jurgen Harms, Klinikum Karlsbad, Karlsbad, Germany, June 24-28, 2000.
51. “Advanced Surgeon Training Course”, Faculty, Medical Advisory Board Sulzer-Spinetech, Abaco, Bahamas, August 17-20, 2000.
52. “Cervical Spine Stabilization”, Faculty, CNS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, September 23, 2000.
53. “Minimally Invasive Techniques for the Lumbar Spine”, Faculty, CNS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, September 24, 2000.
54. “Case Management: Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy”, Faculty, CNS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, September 25, 2000.
55. “Surgical Treatment of Spinal Disc Disease”, Presenter, 17th Annual Medical Symposium in the Ozarks, Tecumseh, Missouri, September 30, 2000.
56. “Best Practice in Preventive Primary Care: Evaluating and Managing Key Clinical Conditions”, Faculty, Washington University School of Medicine, CME, St. Louis, Missouri,
October 21, 2000.
57. “Management of Cervical and Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease”, Presenter, Washington University Physician Network Grand Rounds, CME, St. Louis, Missouri, October 24, 2000.
58. “Management of Cervical and Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease”, Presenter, University of Vermont Grand Rounds, CME, Burlington, Vermont, October 26, 2000.
59. “TLIF Course”, Director, DePuy Acromed, New York City, New York, November 15, 2000.
60. “Bone Growth Factors and Substitutes: Spinal Procedures and Fusions”, Faculty, a CME series by Education Design, Vail, Colorado, December 9-10, 2000.
61. Consultant to Egyptian Minister of Health, Barnes-Jewish Hospital International Relations Department, Nasser Institute, Cairo, Egypt, January 19-26, 2001.
62. “Advanced Spinal Techniques: Cadaver Workshop”, Faculty, Presbyterian Institute for Minimally Invasive Technology, Westin Park Central, Dallas, Texas, March 29-31, 2001.
63. “Procedures and Pitfalls of Anterior Cervical and Lumbar Surgery”, Featured Speaker, DePuy Acromed, the Warner Group, Portland, Oregon, April 12, 2001.
64. “Interbody Fusion Technique”, Featured Speaker, DePuy Acromed, Kansas City, Missouri, April 19, 2001.
65. “SPINE Education Summit: Residents/Fellows Focus”, DePuy Acromed, Boston, Massachusetts, May 18-19, 2001.
66. “Bone Growth Factors and Substitutes”, 19th International Symposium, Education Design, Newport, Rhode Island, June 9, 2001.
67. “Experiences with the PLIF Technique”, Interbody Fusion Techniques Cadaver Workshop, DePuy Acromed, Phoenix, Arizona, June 15-16, 2001.
68. “Contemporary Management of Cervical Degenerative Disease”, Featured Speaker, DePuy Acromed, Florence, South Carolina, June 22, 2001.
69. “Medical Management of Cervical Spondylosis”, Faculty, The 14th Annual John H. Kendig Lecture Series, St. John’s Mercy Medical Center, St. Louis, Missouri, July 25, 2001.
70. “Cervical Spine Stabilization to Include Occipito-Cervical Techniques”, Faculty, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, September 29, 2001.
71. “Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Case Management Perspectives”, Faculty, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, October 1, 2001.
72. “The Effect of the Prone Position on Intraocular Pressure in Anesthetized Patients Undergoing Spine Surgery”, Cheng MA, Todorov A, Tempelhoff R, McHugh T, Crowder CM, Lauryssen C, Oral Poster, presented at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, October 2, 2001.
73. “Does the Use of Artificial Turf Contribute to Head Injuries?” , Naunheim R, McGurren M, Standeven J, Fucetola R, Lauryssen C, Deibert E, Poster, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, September 29 – October 4, 2001.
74. “The Merits of Posterior Atlanto-axial Stabilization Using C1 and C2 Pars Interarticularis Screws,” Lytle R, Selznick L, Wanebo J, Lauryssen C, Poster, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, September 29 – October 4, 2001.
75. “The Effect of Decreasing Endotracheal Tube Cuff Pressure During Neck Retraction for Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery”, Lauryssen C, Ratnaraj J, Cheng M, Tempelhoff R, McHugh T, Poster, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, September 29 – October 4, 2001.
76. “Current Treatments in Low Back Pain: What’s New and What’s Not”, Featured Speaker, Awarded the John L. Hubbard Lectureship, a CME series by Southern Illinois University, Carbondale and Synthes, Decatur, Illinois, October 26, 2001.
77. “Clinical Management of a Series of 210 Spinal Intermedullary Tumors”, Scientific Session Discussant, American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, April 8, 2002.
78. “216 Contemporary Treatments of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy”, Panelist, Breakfast Seminar, American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, April 9, 2002.
79. “Cutting Edge Strategies for Spine Stabilization”, Panelist, Breakfast Seminar, American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, April 10, 2002.
80. “Spine Education Summit – Residents/Fellows Focus”, Chairman, Health Stream Education Design, Boston, Massachusetts, May 16-18, 2002.
81. “Neurosurgical Infections”, Faculty, 29th Annual Educational Conference and International Meeting Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (APIC), Nashville, Tennessee, May 21, 2002.
82. “Cervical Changes”, “Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion/Current Indications and Techniques”, Faculty, International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, Montreux, Switzerland, May 23-26, 2002.
83. “Surgical Anatomy C1 and C2“ and “Methods of C1 and C2 Fixation”, Innovations in Spinal Fixation: An Advanced Course”, Faculty, AANS Professional Development Course, Memphis, Tennessee, July 26-28, 2002
84. “Current Concepts in Spine Surgery, Growth Factors and Vertebroplasty”, Faculty, Interpore Cross International, Rio de Janeiro, October 9-13, 2002.
85. “Spine Education Summit”, Faculty, Health Stream Education Design, Key Biscayne, Florida, November 21-24, 2002.
86. “Posterior atlantoaxial stabilization: a new alternative to C1-2 transarticular screws”, Lauryssen C, Johnson, J. Patrick. Richard Lende Winter Neurosurgery Conference, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Snowbird, Utah, February 4-5, 2003.
87. “C1-2 Fusion- Anatomy and Techniques”, Special Synopsium II Spine, Moderator: Kopitnik, Thomas Jr, Lauryssen, C. Southern Neurosurgical Society – AANS, Orlando, Flordia, March 14, 2003.
88. “ Cervical Myelopathy, Spondylosis, Surgical Anatomy of the Upper Cervical Spine, Lumbar Degenerative Disease & Treatment of Cervical Tumors”, Moderator: Albert, T., Panelists: Crockard, A., Currier, B.L., Lauryssen, C., Patel, T. SPINE Education Summit – Depuy Acromed, Vail, Colorado, March 9-12, 2003.
89. “Craniovertebral Junction and C1-2 Stabilization, Mid-Cervical Deformity”, Faculty, Lauryssen, C. Third Annual Symposium on Current Concepts in Spinal Disorders – Cedars-Sinai, Institute for Spinal Disorders, La Quinta, California, February 28 – March 2, 2003.
90. “Thoracic and Lumbar Stabilization”, Membership Chair, Lauryssen, C. Section on Disorders of the Spine and Perpherial Nerves, American Association of Neurological Surgeons & Congress of Neurological Surgeons, San Diego, California, Arpril 27-29, 2003.
91. “Osteobiologics” Faculty, Lauryssen, C., Aperture Spinal Access System and Cellect Training Course – Cadaver Lab. Depuy Acromed, Dallas, Texas, May 30-31, 2003.
92. “New Technologies in Orthobiologics”, Faculty – Lauryssen, C., “Clinical applications for using concentrated Stem Cells for bone grafting procedures”, Depuy Acromed, Napa, California, June 7, 2003.
93. Fellows Meeting, “Surgical Techniques & Advancements – Micro TLIF”, Moderator: Lauryssen, C., Depuy Acromed, Boston, Massachusetts, June 19 –21, 2003.
94. “Advanced Spinal Techniques: Cadaver Workshops” Chairman, Depuy Acromed, Rosemont, Illinois, July 18-20, 2003.
95. “Innovations In Spinal Fixation: An Advance Course”, Faculty, “Cervico-Thoracic Fixation” Lauryssen, C., American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Memphis, Tennessee, July 26, 2003.
96. “ The Use of Bone Marrow-Based Technologies in Bone Grafting”, Faculty, “Bone Marrow Aspiration: A Minimally Invasive Source of Progenitor Cells” Lauryssen, C., Depuy Acromed, Pasadena, California, August 6, 2003.
97. “SPINE Consortium, Bridges in Life Sciences, Chair, Budapest, October 9-11, 2003.
98. “CNS 53rd Annual Meeting – Discogenic Axial low Back Pain: Which Treatment?”, Moderator, Lauryssen, C. “Selective Cell Retention Technology for Spinal Fusion”, Oral Poster, Lauryssen, C., Youssef, J.A., Lieberman I.H., Brodke, D., Wang J., Haynseworth, T. “Posterior Atlantoaxial Stabilzation: A New Alternative to C 1-2 Transarticular Screws”, Poster, Lauryssen, C. “Vertebral Augmentation Using Intervertbral Mesh”, Poster, Lauryssen, C., Denver, Colorado, October 18-23, 2003.
99. Mid-Atlantic Neurosurgical & Spine Institute 2nd Annual Spine Symposium” Faculty, “ Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis”, Baltimore, Maryland, October 18, 2003.
100. “Cedars-Sinai, Institute for Spinal Disorders, Scientific Program”, Faculty, “Enhancing Stem Cell Technology in Spinal Surgery”, Calgary, Canada, January 3-10, 2004.
101. “Spine Education Summit”, Faculty, “Osteobiologics – Cage Failure, Results of 360- Degree Reconstruction for Tumors”, “Cervical Myelopathy, Comparison of Traditional vs. #D Computer Animation to Decrease Medical Liability in the Operating Room”, Depuy Acromed, Vail, Colorado, February 19-22, 2004.
102. “Advanced Cervical Cadaver Course”, Faculty, “Discectomy; Anatomy of C1 C2, Pars, Pedicle”, Depuy Acromed, Toronto, Canada, March 5, 2004.
103. “AANS/CNS 20th annual Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves”, Faculty, “Is New Technology Changing Cervical Surgery for the Better or Just Increasing the Cost?” (Disc vs ACDF vs Stand Alone), Depuy Acromed, Irvine, California, March 17, 2004.
104. “Elevating Best Practice in Spine, Minimally Invasive Surgery”, Featured Speaker, Sydney, Australia, March 24-31, 2004.
105. “2004 AANS Annual Meeting:” “Contemporary treatments of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy” Moderator, Lauryssen, C., “Thoracic and Lumbar Stabilization and Fusion: Indications and Complications”, Faculty, Orlando, Florida, May 1-6, 2004.
106. “Fellowship Program, Hands on Training Course, John Hopkins Minimally Invasive”, Chair, Albert T., Lebwohl, N., Lauryssen, C., “Emergency Tracheostomy: Anatomy Pertinent to Cervical & Occiptal Screw Fixation”, Depuy Acromed, Baltimore, Maryland, May 14-15, 2004.
107. “NASS – Minimally Invasive Posterior Fusion and Instrumentation: A Hands on Course”, Faculty, “Maxcess Technique”, St.Louis, Missouri, May 21-22, 2004.
108. “ Motion vs. Fusion Group Discussion – Boston Fellows Graduation Course”, Course Chairman, Albert, T, Lebwohl, N., Lauryssen C., Depuy Acromed, Boston, Massachusetts, June 20, 2004.
109. “Current Concepts in Bone Grafting: Biology of Fusion, Forms & Functions of Demineralized Bone Matrix & What is the Ideal Graft Material?”, Faculty, Osteotech, New York City, New York, June 25-26, 2004.
110. “11th IMAST: Advanced Anterior Cervical Fixation Techniques for Degenerative and Traumatic Conditions; Cervical Spondylitic Myelopathy; Treatment Strategies”, Faculty, Depuy Acromed, Bermuda, June 30 - July 4, 2004.
111. “Biologic Vertebral Reconstruction with Optimesh”, Featured Speaker, Spineology, Phoenix, Arizona, July17, 2004.
112. “Biologics and their relevance to ACDF’s, CFRP/Allograft; Cervical Revisions; Cervical Spine Trauma – Fractures in DISH and Ankylosing Spondylitis: What’s the Difference?”, Moderator, Depuy Acromed, New York City, New York, July 22-25, 2004
113. “A Prospective, Multi-center Study of Selective Osteoprogenitor Cell Retention for Enhancement of Lumbar Spinal Fusion”, CNS: Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves:
Boston, MA . Oct 10, 2005
114. “Addition of a Cross-link to the C-1 Lateral Mass/ C2 Pedicle Screw (CLM/C2) Fixation Construct: A Biomechanical Study, CNS:
Boston, MA . Oct. 10. 2005
115. “Anatomic Relationship of the Internal Carotid Artery to C1: Clinical Implications for Screw Fixation of the Atlas”, AANS/CNS Joint Sections, Orlando, FL. March 1, 2008
116. “Complications on What Ive learned: A personal series including graphic surgery and a database of compications”. 52nd Annual Edward T. Smith Lectureship – Controversies in the Management of Patients with Spinal Disorders. Houston, TX. November 7th, 2009
117. “Update on Facet Solutions, archus & TOPS” .. Emerging Technologies Spine Education Summit (5th Annual), Steamboat Springs, CO., February 5, 2009.
118. “Cervical Arthroplasty – Mistakes Made, Lessons Learned”. Steamboat Springs, CO. Februry 6th, 2009.
119. “Complications & Management - Vertebral Artery Injuries”. Moderator; C. Lauryssen, Steamboat Springs, CO. February 7th, 2009.
120. C. Lauryssen, R. Mimran, S. Berven, M. Sheinberg. Facet preservation during decompression for lumbar spinal stenosis: A quantitative cadaveric comparison of the iO-FlexTM System versus standard microdecompression. New Orleans, LA April 27th , 2010 - SAS
121. R. Mimran, C. Lauryssen, S. Berven, M. Sheinberg. A Novel Over-the-wire System for the Decompression of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis. New Orleans, LA., April 27th 2010 – SAS
122. Lauryssen C, Dickinson L, Mimran R, Summa C. Early Clinical Outcomes Using A Flexible Microblade Shaver System For Lumbar Decompression. Poster @ SMISS 2011
123. Dickinson L, Lauryssen C, Summa C, Mimran R. Prospective, Single-Arm, Multi-center Trial Using A Flexible Microblade Shaver System For Lumbar Decompression: Interim Clinical Data. ePoster #1306 @ AANS 2012
124. Lauryssen C. Early clinical outcomes using a flexible microblade shaver system for lumbar decompression. Presentation @ Cedars-Sinai’s 11th Annual Symposium on Current Concepts in Spinal Disorders 2012
125. Dickinson L, Lauryssen C, Summa C, Mimran R. Early Clinical Outcomes Using A Flexible Microblade Shaver System For Lumbar Decompression. Podium presentation @ ISASS 2012
1. Handler LC, Davey IC, Hill JC, Lauryssen C: The acute orbit: differentiation of orbital cellulitis from subperiosteal abscess by computerized tomography. Neuroradiology 33:15-18, 1991.
2. Durrant TJ, Sevick RJ, Lauryssen C, MacRae ME: Parapharyngeal branchial cleft cyst presenting with cranial nerve palsies. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 45:134-6, 1994.
3. Hamilton MG, Lauryssen C, Hagen N: Focal midbrain glioma: Long term survival in a cohort of 16 patients and the implications for management. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 23: 204-107, 1996.
4. Lauryssen C: Critique of “Anterior approaches to the thoracic spine in patients with cancer: indications and results”, Ferguson T. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 64: 1611-18, Dec 1997.
5. Wright N, Lauryssen C: Vertebral artery injury in C1/2 transarticular screw fixation: results of a survey of the AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves. Journal of Neurosurgery 88: 634-640, Apr 1998.
6. Lauryssen C: Clinical Opinion, Journal of Spinal Disorders, Vol. 11, No. 3.
7. Racette B, Lauryssen C: Preoperative treatment with botulinum toxin to facilitate cervical fusion in dystonic cerebral palsy. Report of two cases. Journal of Neurosurgery, 1998 Feb: 88 (2) 328-30.
8. Madeline L, Moran C, DeWitte T, Cross, Derdeyn C, Lauryssen C, Pilgram T: Efficacy of preoperative transarterial embolization in surgical treatment of vertebral neoplastic disease. (Manuscript in preparation)
9. Wright N, Lauryssen C: Techniques of posterior C1-C2 stabilization. Techniques in Neurosurgery, Vol 4, No. 4., 1998, Lippincott Williams-Wilkins.
10. Kaplan S, Lauryssen C: Cerebellar hemorrhage after evacuation of an acute supratentorial subdural haematoma. British Journal of Neurosurgery Spring, 1999.
11. Wright N, Kaufman B, Haughey B, Lauryssen C: Complex cervical spine neoplastic disease : reconstruction after surgery by using a vascularized fibular strut graft. Case report. J Neurosurg Spine 90: 133-137, 1999.
12. Louw D, Reddy K, Lauryssen C, Louw C: Pitfalls of bungee jumping: case report and literature review. Journal of Neurosurgery, 89 (6): 1040-2, 1998 Dec. Abstract/complete reference.
13. Kaplan S, Wright N, Yundt K, Lauryssen C: Adjacent fracture-dislocations of the lumbosacral spine: case report. Neurosurgery, May, 1999.
14. Cheng M, Sigurdson W, Tempelhoff R, Lauryssen C: Visual loss following spine surgery: a survey. Neurosurgery, Vol. 46, No. 3, March 2000.
15. Riew D, Yin, Bridwell K, Lenke L, Goette K, Lauryssen C, Gilula L: Can Nerve Root Injections Obviate the Need for Operative Treatment of Lumbar Radicular Pain? A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled, Double-Blinded Study, The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 82-A, No. 11, p 1589, November 2000.
16. Stewart TJ, Howard MJ, Leuchtmann E Arekapodi S, Lauryssen C, McDonald JW Embryonic Stem (ES) cells myelinate and produce extracellular matrix in vitro and when transplanted into the injured spinal cord. AANS, 2000.
17. Brennan J, Lauryssen C: Current Indications for Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusions,
Seminars in Neurosurgery, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2000.
18. Piccirrillo JF, Lauryssen C: Point of view. Spine 2001, 26: 1890-1895.
19. Graham E, Hannallah D, Lauryssen C, Lenke L: Myelopathy induced by a thoracic intraspinal synovial cyst: a case report of the literature. Spine, 2001.
20. Cheng MA, Todorov A, Tempelhoff R, McHugh T, Crowder CM, Lauryssen C: The effect of prone positioning on intraocular pressure in anesthetized patients. Anesthesiology , Anesthesiology 95: 1351-55, 2001.
21. Wright, N, Shafaie, F, Lauryssen, C: The Failed Spine, First Edition, Chapter 7, Lippincott Williams, and Wilkins, 100-118. (in print 2002).
22. Ratnaraj J, Todorov A, McHugh T, Cheng M, Lauryssen C: Effects of decreasing endotracheal tube cuff pressures during neck retraction for anterior cervical spine surgery. Journal of Neurosurgery (Spine) 97:16-19, 2002.
23. Stewart TJ, Howard MJ, Platik M, Lauryssen C, McDonald JW Embryonic Stem (ES) Cell-Derived Neurons Extend Axons through Injured Spinal Cord. AANS/CNS Spine and Peripheral Nerve Section, 2002.
24. Naunheim RS, McGurren M, Standeven J, Fecetola R, Lauryssen C, Deibert E: Does the use of artificial turf contribute to head injuries? The Journal of TRAUMA Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, Vol 53, Number 4, 1-3, 2002.
25. Hanna A, Lauryssen C: Traumatic Injuries to the Atlas, Seminars in Neurosurgery, Volume 13, 159-178, June 2002.
26. Lauryssen C: Review of “Total Sacrectomy and Reconstruction for Sacral Tumors”. Spine, 2003.
27. Engsberg, J.R., C. Lauryssen, S.A. Ross, J.H. Hollman, D. Walker, F.J. Wippold, 2003. "Spasticity, Strength, and Gait Changes after Surgery for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: A Case Report." Spine. 28(7):p.E136-E139.
28. Lauryssen, C. Appropriate selection of patients with lumbar spinal stenosis for interspinous process decompression with the X STOP device. Journal of Neurosurgery (spine) 22; 1-5, January 2007.
29. Perri B, Cooper M, Lauryssen C, Anand N. Adverse swelling associated with use of rh-BMP-2 in anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: a case study. Spine J. 2007 Mar-Apr; 7(2):235-9. Epub 2006 Nov 20.
30. Lauryssen C. Interverterbral Fusion Using Carbon Finer Reinforced Polymer Implants. Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol. 107, August 2007.
31. Daniel Hoh, M.D., Marcel Maya, M.D., Alexander Jung, M.D., Skorn Ponrartana, M.D., Carl Lauryssen, M.D. “Anatomic relationship of the internal carotid artery to C1: clinical implications for screw fixation of the atlas”, Journal of Neurosurgery 8: 335-340, April 2008.
32. Lauryssen C. Technical advances in minimally invasive surgery: direct decompression for lumbar spinal stenosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Dec 15;35(26 Suppl):S287-93.
33. McAfee PC, Phillips FM, Andersson G, Buvenenadran A, Kim CW, Lauryssen C, Isaacs RE, Youssef JA, Brodke DS, Cappuccino A, Akbarnia BA, Mundis GM, Smith WD, Uribe JS, Garfin S, Allen RT, Rodgers WB, Pimenta L, Taylor W. Minimally invasive spine surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Dec 15;35(26 Suppl):S271-3.
34. Celestre PC, Pazmiño PR, Mikhael MM, Wolf CF, Feldman LA, Lauryssen C, Wang JC. Minimally invasive approaches to the cervical spine. Orthop Clin North Am. 2012 Jan;43(1):137-47, x. Epub 2011 Oct 13. Review. PubMed PMID: 22082636.
35. Coric D, Nunley PD, Guyer RD, Musante D, Carmody CN, Gordon CR, Lauryssen C, Ohnmeiss DD, Boltes MO. Prospective, randomized, multicenter study of cervical arthroplasty: 269 patients from the Kineflex|C artificial disc investigational device exemption study with a minimum 2-year follow-up: clinical article. J Neurosurg Spine. 2011 Oct;15(4):348-58. Epub 2011 Jun 24. Erratum in: J Neurosurg Spine. 2012 Mar;16(3):322.
- Lauryssen, C., Bauer, T., Muschler, G., Dix, G., Fischgrund, J., Riew, D., Wang, J., Wang, M.: Focus on Bone Graft Substitutes for Spinal Arthrodesis: A Case-Based Monograph, Biocontinum Group, January 2006.
- Kitchel, Scott H., Wang, Michael, Lauryssen, Carl, “Techniques for Aspirating Bone Marrow for Use in Spinal Surgery”, Operative Neurosurgery 4: Vol. 57, 286, October, 2005.
- P.V. Bayly, G.M. Genin, C. Lauryssen, L. M. Lewis, R. S. Naunheim.
“Biomechanics of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury.” Washington University
Biomedical Engineering Symposium (“BME Day”), April, 2002.
- Paramore, Christopher, MD., Lauryssen, Carl, MD., Rauzzino, Michael, MD., Wadlington, Van, MD., Palmer, Cheryl, MD., Brix, Amy, DVM., Cartner, Samuel, DVM., Hadley, Mark, MD., “The Safety of OP-1 for Lumbar Fusion with decompression – a Canine Study”, Neurosurgery, Vol. 44, No. 5, May, 1999.
Papers in Progress
1. Sherburn E, Kaplan S, Gregg , Lauryssen C: Cervical spondylotic myelopathy secondary to gouty tophus.
2. Selznik L, Wanebo J, Lytle R, Lauryssen C: C1 Pedicle screw fixation for Type 3 odontoid fracture.
3. Jost S, Brennan J, Lauryssen C: Clinical outcome of anterior cervical discectomy and allograft fusion.
4. Leonard J, Brennan J, Willard , Lauryssen C: Anatomical study of Silhouette self-correcting, self-centering pedicle screw system.
5. Leonard J, Lu J, Fox K, Lauryssen C: Technical report of insertion of thoracic vertebral body screws.
6. Selznick L, Lyltle R, Wanebo J, Lauryssen C: The merits of posterior atlanto-axial stabilization using C1 and C2 pars interarticularis screws. (Manuscript submitted to Neurosurgery).
7. Engsberg J, Wippold F, Ross S, Hollman J, Lauryssen C: Spasticity, strength and gait changes after surgery for cervical spondylosis: a case report. (Manuscript submitted).
8. Mayfield JL, Vest J, Polish L, Lauryssen C, Dacey R, Brown K, Fraser V: Risk factors for surgical site infection following neurosurgery spinal procedures. (Manuscript submitted).
9. Lewis L, Naunheim R, Lauryssen C: Do football helmets reduce acceleration of impact in blunt head injuries. (Manuscript submitted to Academic Emergency Medicine).
10. Huang J, Lauryssen C: Management of postoperative pain after T6 corpectomy: use of epidural bupivacaine and sufentanil: a case report. (Manuscript submitted to AANA Journal.)
11. Lauryssen C, Boyan B, Hardin N, Orbegoso C: Histological evaluation of a surgical mesh containing bone graft. (Manuscript submitted).
12. Olsen M, Mayfield J, Lauryssen C, Leone C, Jones M, Dacey R, Fraser V: The role of incontinence as a risk factor for surgical site infections in spinal surgery. (Manuscript submitted)
13. Cheng MA, Ratnaraj J, Tempelhoff R, Kurz A, Lauryssen C: The effects of supplemental oxygen and end-tidal carbon dioxide on intraocular pressure in anesthetized piglets in the supine position. (Manuscript submitted).
14. Phillips FM, Lauryssen, C. The Lumbar Intervertebral Disc. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers; 2009
15. Perri DO, B., Siddique, K., Baron, E., Lauryssen, C.: Acute Odontoid Fractures Anterior Odontoid Fixation – Operative techniques in Orthopaedics.
16. Cervical Total Disc Replacement: A Prospective Randomized Comparison to Fusion. Richard D. Guyer, M.D., Carl Lauryssen, M.D. 2007
17. Lauryssen C, Mimran R, Berven S, Sheinberg M. Facet preservation during decompression for lumbar spinal stenosis: A quantitative cadaveric comparison of the iO-Flex System versus traditional microdecompression. MKT1271.B
18. Mimran R, Dickinson L, Randall J, Lauryssen C. Initial clinical experience with a novel over-the-wire system for decompression of lumbar spinal stenosis. MKT1272.B