<< Return to FAQs
What kind of diet worked best for you after surgery?
A regular diet worked for me. I had some difficulty with swallowing meat and medications (temporary) which required an increase in water intake following medications and decreasing bite size and thorough mastication.
If you experienced constipation, what helped you with that?
Increased fiber and water intake.
What helped you with your pain?
Vicodin and Darvocet. Massage of the shoulders and back.
What helped you to sleep after surgery?
A cervical pillow and sleeping on my back.
Do you have any information that you’d like to share with other patients that may help them with their recovery?
- Walk everyday
- Keep active
- Rest as needed and don’t over do it
- I used a cervical collar in the evenings to provide support when my neck was fatigued
- Follow the doctor’s recommendations regarding range of motion, no bending, twisting or lifting!
- Set up a support system (family and friends) prior to surgery to assist with household duties, shopping, pet care, driving, and social interaction
- Do what you can but let people help you when needed
- Massage! (not on neck) to relieve back and shoulder stiffness and aching due to limited physical activity and range of motion